10.25.2022

Stay on the Sunny Side.

I was really caught off guard by how the passing of this sweet man has impacted me. A lot of it is that he, like my grandparents and dad, was raised in Tennessee. His accent, his mannerisms, and the things talked about are all wildly familiar to me.

My grandfather, who went by Sonny, was a popular musician in the clubs of 1930s Knoxville. And he always closed his shows with a jazz version of "Stay on the Sunny Side." 

It was his signature song. He sang it to me as a baby. He sang it at my grandma's funeral. My dad used to sing it to us while we got ready for school.

So when Brandi Carlisle shared this video of her and Leslie Jordan singing this song, I really felt the sadness set in. 



When I watched Leslie's Instagram videos, it was like the part of my family that had slipped away the last couple of years was still alive and well in Leslie Jordan. Southern people get a bad rap, but he was really the best amalgam of the best parts.

Rest in peace on the sunny side, Mr. Jordan. And thank you.